Saturday 9 June 2018

2018 - Day 8

Today our time in Nashville, short and sweet, is over. We get to ride again! The temperature was crazy already first thing in the morning, with a humidity so thick it was hard to breathe. Leona and I have struggled to get used to this, and I for one have been a mess since the day we entered Illinois. There is just no way to stop sweating with the humidity, and I'm looking forward to what I expect will be cooler temperatures up in the mountains.

After a short ride out of Nashville, and into Kentucky, we got off the interstate for the remainder of the day. It was great to get onto some back roads, meandering our way through a beautiful piece of this state! Rolling hills, with lush green vegetation was our view for the day.

We stumbled upon the birthplace of Abraham Lincoln as we rode up highway 31E north, which was a nice little diversion. I knew he was born in Kentucky, but had no idea we were going to see his birthplace. It was so hot that we didn't spend a lot of time, but we did see what we wanted to.

For me, the day's ride was exactly what I needed after the city experience. I can't believe anyone would ever choose to live in a city, especially with all the great scenery in this area. Lots of relaxed riding at 45 and 55mph today, winding two lane roads for the most part.

We skirted by Lexington, and entered Winchester via highway 60. There was a big fire in a recycling yard, and we found out at dinner that the highway closed sometime after we went by. The smoke is still rising now, we can see it from our motel room in Winchester, and hopefully they can get the fire contained. It's right beside a lot of residential yards, just outside of town.

Dinner at the Blue Isle Restaurant was a perfect way to end the day. It's a little sketchy looking inside, but the food was great and the staff were so friendly. People have been very friendly and hospitable everywhere we've gone so far, which really makes the trip and the experience so much more fun and relaxed.

Tomorrow morning we are planning to go to church here in Winchester, and then we'll ride up to the northeastern corner of the state where we plan to spend a couple of days taking in the Ark Encounter and the Creation Museum.


Just across the state line into Kentucky, we got off the interstate for the rest of the day. This was a few miles east on highway 100, connecting us to highway 31E



Leona liked the barn quilt, whatever that exactly means I'm not sure, I was distracted by the beautiful scenery

This is what I've always pictured when I've thought of Kentucky

I knew Lincoln was born in Kentucky, but I didn't know that the route we took today would bring us here. Wonderful coincidence, and it was worth the stop

Inside of that memorial there is the cabin Abraham Lincoln would have lived in





Made it to Winchester, both of us are a hot, sweaty mess

Leona had catfish, I had fried chicken at this great little restaurant

No comments:

Post a Comment