Tuesday 10 June 2014

Day 6

The sun was shining brightly already when I awoke at just after 7am, and I was more than happy to face a sunny day of riding. I had a tough time falling asleep last night, too much coffee before bedtime, but I wasn't feeling tired. After going through my morning routine, which is becoming familiar now, I packed the bags on the bike and hit the road.

The air coming off the lake was quite cold, so the warm sunshine was welcome. It was a relaxing ride to Sault Ste. Marie with quite a few stops along the way. As usual I was able to chat with people from time to time throughout the day, something I usually enjoy.

I had lunch in the Soo, followed by a dreaded trip to Walmart to finally buy some sunscreen. Thankfully it was on a shelf just inside the entrance, so I didn't have to stay there long. I don't really like crowds, especially throngs of angry Walmart shoppers!

The landscape after the Soo actually got a little boring for me today, similar in many ways to the stretch from the Manitoba border to Thunder Bay. Mountain riding is my favorite, and there are no mountains out here. Ontario is a BIG province, it's looking like another day in Ontario before moving on. The plan for tomorrow is to see Parliament Hill in Ottawa, and then spend the night in Cornwall. From there I will probably ride through Quebec to New Brunswick and start the maritime portion of the trip.

I was quite tired by the time I pulled into North Bay, and disappointed in the room I had booked earlier. It certainly is the worst room of the trip so far, and I should have known better. I'm looking forward to a night of rest, and then a fresh start in the morning.


What a lovely place to spend some time in the morning

Feet in the water of Lake Superior



They sold real Mennonite farmer's sausage in the store! Didn't buy any though


Almost in North Bay now

No comments:

Post a Comment