Tuesday 24 June 2014

Day 20

Woke up this morning to overcast skies and forecasts calling for thundershowers everywhere I wanted to travel. That has seemed to be the norm by now on this trip, so it didn't bother me too much. Weather can always change and I was hoping that would be the case today. Other than a day or two I've been getting up by 7:30 at the latest every day, a schedule that's been easy to keep because I'm ready for bed by 11:00 or 11:30 every night. My mind has gotten a chance to relax a lot so far, but it's been a busy schedule for the most part. Even though I get up at that hour, it's usually only around 9:00 by the time I hit the road, as was the case this morning. That's just what it takes to get through the morning routine, as I enjoy some quiet time and a coffee to start the day.

From the hotel it was only about 40km to the Niagara Falls, a little more after I missed my exit immediately after the bridge over the Niagara River. I got to the Rainbow Bridge and the border crossing around 9:30 and had to wait around 20 minutes to get through. While waiting the seagulls overhead decided it would be a good idea to poop on me. Joke's on them, they missed, although they did hit the bike.

I spent around an hour or so at the Falls taking in the sights and walking down the sidewalk up above the river. It's an impressive sight for sure, the force of the water going over the falls and into the river below. Maybe I've been overloaded too much on the trip scenery wise but it didn't blow my mind. Had I taken the time to do the walk under the falls or take a ride on one of the boats down below it might have been mind blowing. Regardless, it was cool to finally see one of our Canadian landmarks, and I could see why the American side would be much less impressive.

After leaving the falls I ate an early lunch and then got going, heading for the border crossing at Sarnia. Traffic was absolutely insane on the 401 today, the worst I've seen on the trip so far. It was also very windy, and as has been the case for the last three days, hot. The humidity yesterday and today also made it feel much warmer. Once I finally got off the 401 onto the 402 traffic became normal again, down to two lanes each way and much fewer vehicles. Up until that point it hadn't rained a drop, but finally the clouds opened up. I took shelter under and overpass for 10 minutes, which is all it took for the storm to pass. Through it all I didn't even get that wet, never getting the rain gear out.

Just before crossing into the USA again I stopped for a coffee and donut at Tim Hortons again, getting my fix for the next few days. Dunkin' Donuts doesn't hold a candle to the coffee at Timmy's, poor Americans! The border crossing was painless again, the third time in three days I've crossed, but Michigan was about to give me a wet welcome. Literally two minutes after crossing the clouds opened up, a deluge of only 15 minutes or so, but there was nowhere safe to pull over. I couldn't see a thing, and got thouroghly soaked! As hot as it was it actually didn't feel that bad, free air conditioning for the next hour as I dried off:)

It was an uneventful ride for the remainder of the day, getting to my room in Kalamazoo just before 8pm. Check in took over 20 mintues as the lady asked me a lot of questions in regards to my trip. Spent another 20 mintues chatting with a guy outside about various things, from hockey to politics. I will say this, as long as one is friendly there is always someone to talk with it seems. People have been nothing short of awesome everywhere I go, not one bad experience with people so far. I really enjoy meeting so many new people, talking about anything and everything, even if it's having a laugh with the  girl taking my order who could barely get through it before running off to the bathroom. She claimed she drank too much water, and therefore was feeling sick. To me all the random meetings are what make the journey enjoyable, I've had more of a social life on the road than at home!

Tomorrow the plan is to only travel to the Milwaukee area, spending some time at the Harley museum. I gain back another hour as I'll be entering the Central time zone. I'm thinking of riding through Chicago, something I've been told not to do, but it sure does cut down on the riding time. I'd like at least a few hours at the museum before closing, and then get to the hotel room I've booked just west of Milwaukee. Another decent day in the saddle Thursday, and then a short day Friday to Jamestown for the service job on the bike.

View from on the Rainbow bridge waiting to get through customs, dodging seagull poop











Home for the night

3 comments:

  1. the "feels like" temps the last three days have been around the mid 30's, a big change from barely getting into the teens for much of my Atlantic Canada venture

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow man, that looks like a ton of fun!��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah it was man, the whole trip has been quite the adventure!

      Delete