Saturday 21 June 2014

Day 17

Today marked the beginning of my journey back west, although it wouldn't be a big mileage day as I planned to spend some time at The Rocks Provincial Park on the Bay of Fundy, home of the Hopewell Rocks and the highest tides in the world. It was an easy ride there from Halifax on the Trans Canada, right through downtown Moncton. I'm looking forward to putting down some miles over the next week, although there are a few things I'd like to see as well, namely the Niagara Falls and the Harley museum in Milwaukee.

The Hopewell Rocks, which I've seen in pictures and on TV like many of you, are really impressive in person. I was fortunate enough to arrive there at around 1:00pm right at low tide. Walking down among the Flower Pot rocks area and seeing how they've been shaped over the years was one of the coolest things I've ever seen. There were interpretive guides ready with a ton of info, some of which I actually listened to. I spent a couple hours just wandering around and taking it in, with many other people doing the same. It started raining again, so I made my way back to the bike for the 180km or so to Saint John.

I took the scenic route to Fundy National Park which burned a little time. The NP may be interesting if one had the time to do a lot of hiking, which I didn't have. All the walking at the Hopewell Rocks was good enough for me, as some of the inclines were fairly steep, especially after all the time I've spent sitting on my butt the last 3 weeks or so.

It was a little after 6pm by the time I arrived in Saint John, and following the check-in at the hotel, I walked down the street for some dinner. Once I came back I did a little looking ahead at the next week, getting a feel for how much I will need to ride per day to get back to Swift Current for what looks to be Saturday night. The first half of my vacation has gone by quickly it seems, as the days all kind of start blending together. I'm probably also quite close to the halfway point in mileage by now as well. It will be nice to gain back the hours I lost coming east, we can always use more time in a day when vacationing!

Mud flats on the Bay of Fundy
The people down there look pretty small!

They call this the Lover's Arch

Looking at the stairs coming down to the beach





Looking across the Bay of Fundy to the western shorline of Nova Scotia

2 comments:

  1. Our kids would love the Bay of Fundy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, the previous comment was actually me, your computer illiterate sister. I've tried to comment 3 times, LOL, but it's never worked till now. And I didn't figure out how to make it from me, instead of from my hubby. Oh well, love the pics, Euge. We can only try to replicate the amazing works of our Master Artist, the Creator! Have fun!
    - Lenora

    ReplyDelete