Saturday 28 June 2014

Day 24

Well there is very little to report for today unless you would all like to hear rain stories. It was an absolutely miserable day to be on the road for the bulk of the ride today. It started off as a light rain for the first little bit but turned into mostly a downpour. It stayed that way for 600km, taking almost 9 hours to ride that stretch. I was down to below 80km/h for stretches as I had a tough time seeing through the rain. The last 300km were dry though, thankfully, and I was able to crank through them in three hours. It took 12 hours to complete the 901km today, pretty good considering the conditions. 

I was very thankful to arrive safe and sound in Swift Current after a good scare early in the day. The bike started fish-tailing in a corner, not sure exactly what caused it but I'm guess I was hydroplaning over a puddle. I actually thought I was going to lose control of the bike for a second but managed to correct the situation. I believe the good Lord was looking after me there, as I'm sure he has many times over the course of the trip so far!

I gained back another hour today, back on Mountain time for a little while. It was a little after 8:30 by the time I'd checked into the room, and then it was time for coffee with my parents. I will spend the day with them tomorrow at the reunion, and hopefully tour the area mom spent the first 8 years or so of her life. I may stay Monday as well as I feel like I need a little down time. That would also give me a chance to do some laundry at some point as well. After 13,500km it would probably be beneficial to take the extra day off and recoup for the final two weeks of vacation. 

I didn't take any pictures today as the only place it wasn't raining was mostly in the area I rode through on day 3. The rain gear I bought seems to work quite well as I stayed pretty dry through the day. It's tiring though to have a day like this so now it's time for bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment