Saturday 14 June 2014

Day 10

I'm writing tonight from Charlottetown, PEI, the birthplace of Confederation. I've choosen to stay on the island all day tomorrow so I can have some time to see the sights, and also hopefully see some of the history. Already I can tell that I'm only going to see the tip of the iceberg on this trip, just like the trip I took last summer. Strange how the more I travel, the more I realize I would like to see. I guess that means that sometime in the future I'll need to come back.

I spent the last hour chatting with the girl working the front desk, a very knowledgeable and chatty 30 year old (cute as well, for those of you wondering). She's lived on the island for 9 years, and gave me enough things to see and do to keep me busy for a week. Unfortunately I only have a day, but she certainly helped me decided some of the key things I'd like to see. 

The day started off with a very light rain, almost more of a mist, but it only lasted about an hour. It remained overcast for the entire day but it sure was nice to stay dry, although after not seeing the sun for four days I could use some of that as well. I had planned to ride over to Bathurst, but after getting off the Trans Canada and down to Plaster Rock, via highway 108 I changed my mind. The road was so rough it was giving me a headache, so I took highway 109 to Perth Andover and the Trans Canada once again. 

The scenery was mostly just trees again today but the ride was enjoyable. I was more than ready for a change in scenery though, which finally came once I arrived at the Confederation Bridge spanning the Northumberland Strait. The bridge is magnificent work of engineering, the longest bridge over ice covered waters in the world at 12.9km (8 miles) in length. It cost a staggering $1.3 billion to build. I was happy that I sit high enough on the bike to at least get a pretty decent view while crossing, in the car one would see mostly concrete. My folks mentioned their crossing in a bus, which I'm sure would really help with the view. One thing I find interesting is that you only pay when you leave, and that I'll pay $18 instead of $45 because I'm on a motorcycle. I guess there are some benefits to travelling on a bike. 

That was the highlight of the day for me, but riding over to Charlottetown was also nice. The dirt is such a rich color of red, a beautiful contrast with the many shades of green here. Coming here in the off-season should help with seeing the sights as there will not be as many people or cars. I'm certainly looking forward to the day tomorrow! The schedule will remain packed for the entire trip it seems, and I'm guessing I'll be more tired when I get back than when I left, but it will be worth it.

This one's for you Arlene, looks mean and tough doesn't it. And just for the record, I haven't been wearing other gloves over them the whole time either:)
Perth Andover




Rode over 6000km to see a large puddle

Confederation Bridge
Tried the zoom function, but it didn't show the island as well as one could see
About halfway over
I take too many pictures while riding

Canadian and provincial flags as you enter PEI


Colors look so much better in real life than a camera can show

No comments:

Post a Comment