Tuesday 17 June 2014

Day 13

The one day I was hoping for great weather...and I got it! The sun was shining when I woke up, some clouds in the sky, but it looked like it would turn into a nice day. After the morning routine, I got gas for the bike and then wolfed down a breakfast sandwich and a coffee at Tim Horton's. By 9am I was headed north out of Baddeck.

I turned onto the Cabot Trail after about 15km, finally ready to ride the road I'd been waiting for since winter. It started out nicely, but the views one waits for take a little time to get to. I rode the Trail counter clockwise after many bikers suggested that was the way to ride it, and also decided to skip the ferry at Englishtown today. I'll probably take the ferry tomorrow. Once you make the climb at Cape Smokey the views of the Atlantic Ocean begin, and it's quite spectacular. The climb itself was a great ride, one gains elevation so quickly, and there was one spot where I carried a little extra speed into a corner for some pucker factor!

There were so many photo opportunities today and I probably took far too many, something I have a habit of doing. Highlands National Park begins shortly after Ingonish, just fantastic views from there until the small fishing town of Neil's Harbour. I stayed on the Cabot Trail here, probably going to take the Coastal Loop tomorrow.

After Neil's Harbour one crosses from east to west across Cape Breton, leaving the National Park for some time. Here there are tree covered mountains aplenty, with great views of valleys, and at one point looking east one could see all the way to the ocean again.

After Pleasant Bay there's a climb up Mackenzie Mountain, and once again some astounding picture opportunities of the Gulf of St. Lawrence and the shore line looking north. This is followed again by more inland riding before heading back down to the coast after French Mountain. From there until sometime after the town of Cheticamp most of the riding is on the coast.

All in all the day was just perfect! I've spent so much time riding across the country, and though there have been many highlights, at times it felt like I was just pounding pavement. I really enjoyed just being a tourist and taking in the sights. I was back in Baddeck by 6pm, that's after really taking my time, and had I known I would probably have booked the ferry to Newfoundland tonight. As it stands, I'll ride the Cabot Trail the other direction tomorrow and then head over to North Sydney to catch the overnight ferry. I'll go to bed early tonight as I don't know how much sleep I'll get on the ferry. I should be in Newfoundland early in the morning, and then have two days there before coming back to the mainland overnight from Friday to Saturday. 


Looking south from the top of Smokey mountain

First look off after entering the Highlands National Park
Boats fishing on the Atlantic Ocean



Boots in the Atlantic Ocean



Met a couple bikers from Ontario, this guy owns an automation company, electrician by trade

Looking down on Pleasant Bay, on the west coast and the Gulf of St. Lawrence



Skyline hiking trail terminates up there, you could actually see the people walking there


This looked like a nice spot for a quick nap, and it was


No comments:

Post a Comment