Friday 20 June 2014

Day 16

Woke up this morning with a headache, a bit of a sore throat, and still tired despite getting 7.5 hours of sleep. I guess that happens weather you're on a vacation or not. It caused me to start the day a little slower than usual, drinking and extra cup of coffee hoping it would take care of the headache.

Once I got the bike loaded again I headed for the Halifax waterfront. I was told to check out Pier 21, which is where over a million immigrants to Canada passed through between 1928 and 1971. It was also used for troops going to and from Europe during World War 2, when immigration all but stopped during the war years. It was an interesting visit, putting into perspective a little more what an amazing country we live in, and how it's seen in the eyes of many people around the world. When it comes down to it, most of us would have ancestors that came over from many parts of the world. 

After that I worked my way south out of Halifax for a couple hours of meandering down twisty back country roads. Now I don't dance, and know nothing about it, but when I'm riding winding roads on my bike that's as close to a dance as man and machine can get. Once you get some open road with no traffic slowing you down, one can get into a nice rhythm.

I worked my way down a part of the eastern coast, getting my last look at the Atlantic Ocean, before making my way across to the western part. There's a lot of wineries and farms, at least the part I rode through. It's also home to the town of Windsor, which claims to be the birthplace of the game of hockey.

Not feeling all that well, and becoming increasingly tired, I shut down the day a little earlier today to get some rest. I'm looking forward to seeing the Bay of Fundy tomorrow, followed by crossing the border into the US to see some sights there. After exchanging some text messages with my friend Stan earlier today I realized how far the trip back will be. I'll be in five different time zones by the time I get there to spend a few days with he and his wife.


Looking into the harbour from Pier 21


Getting my last look at the ocean, from St. Margaret's Bay



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to share your ride with the world. Definitely on my list of places I need to go. Interesting bit about Halifax and Pier 21. one of my ancestors immigrated through Halifax way back when. It's humbling thinking about the hardships they endured and how they survived and toughed it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my pleasure to share the trip online, thanks for reading. Our ancestors coming over must have some tough times for sure, I can't imagine leaving everything to move halfway across the world

      Delete