Saturday 7 June 2014

Day 3

By the time my head hit the pillow last night, I was fast asleep, and never woke once until just before 7am. I awoke feeling rested, and the early wake up allowed me to relax a little before getting ready to leave. It was 8:30 by the time I'd had a couple cups of coffee, packed the bike for the day, and fueled up.

The sun was shining and it was a perfect morning for riding. The landscape has more rolling hills than I had pictured in my mind, though it does flatten out a lot more as one gets closer to Moose Jaw. After the approximately 175km from Swift Current to Moose Jaw, I figured it was time to eat. It wasn't a long stop, and then I was back on the highway. 

I saw mile after mile of open farm land today, not the greatest scenery, but it was still enjoyable. There was a perfect mix of sun and clouds today, keeping the temperature at a very comfortable level. My body is still getting used to the constant sitting but I did feel better after the ride today than yesterday. Many times today I thought of how office work would be great training for long distance riding, since the white collar types have plenty of time sitting on their butts. I'm used to being on my feet all day, and moving around, so this is a big change of pace. By the time I reached west Winnipeg, I was ready to call it a day, tired and hungry. I got food delivered to the room while I wound down, didn't feel like trying to find a place to eat. 

A few times today I was able to chat with other bikers, as there were many out on this nice summer Saturday. Not too many bikes heading east with me though, most of the bikers were heading west it seemed.

Total time from departure to arrival today was almost exactly 10 hours, 826km on the odometer for the day. Tomorrow will be another fairly long ride, as I need to be in Thunder Bay tomorrow night. I should get a chance to relax there though, while they get to work on my bike.


Sodium sulphate deposits close to Chaplin, SK. This was about as interesting as it got today

Entering Manitoba for the first time in my life, also lost an hour due to crossing into the Central time zone.
Not far from Winnipeg now
Guys in the van were here when I arrived two hours ago, and they're still at it right now. Someone must have called the cops, although they didn't stay long before leaving. There seems to be more stuff coming out of the van rather than stuff going in. I have a feeling the police will be back before the night is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment