Friday 6 June 2014

Day 2

I got off to a late start again this morning, something that will probably change now that I'm alone for the rest of the trip. It was enjoyable to relax and chat over the morning coffee, and vacations are supposed to be relaxing right?

It was almost 10am by the time I was rolling, and when I stopped for gas in Red Deer the A & W right beside the gas station beckoned with the sweet aroma of another coffee and a bacon & egger (it's one of my weaknesses). I used that time to return a missed called from Thunder Bay Harley, where I have a service job and new rear tire appointment booked for Monday morning. I was thinking of getting some more stuff done on the bike, but the pricing seemed high so it will have to wait for now.

The sun was shining brightly, and it was a bit warmer than yesterday. I left Red Deer south bound on the Deuce, but turned east on highway 42. I wanted to avoid the city traffic in Calgary, so once I got to highway 21, I took that down to the Trans Canada just east of Strathmore. Clouds rolled in, and though it didn't rain much, it blocked the warmth from the sun. After a fuel stop and some food in Brooks, I was once again on the road. It was windy most of the way today, a crosswind that made me work a little harder to keep the bike on the road.

Passing through Medicine Hat, the clouds finally opened up a little for about 20 minutes or so. It wasn't enough to stop and get out the rain gear though. As I closed in on Swift Current, I decided I was done for the day. Moose Jaw is another 175km, and that will be easier in the morning after some rest. I'll have to make a few more miles tomorrow, but will also be starting out earlier.

I can't say enough good things about the new bike, beats the Heritage I had last year hands down when it comes to longer days in the saddle. I'm still getting tired, partially because I have to get used to riding every day, and also I'm a little too out of shape. It's so easy to grab the small briefcase and backseat bag, and leave everything else on the bike. Last year I had my hands full every time I stopped for the day. This current setup with make the whole experience just a little more enjoyable. 

It was a little discouraging today with how tired I felt, but I need to remember that last year the most kilometers I travelled in a day was 675. I did 858 yesterday and 676 today so I just need to get used to sitting on a bike all day instead of walking all day at work.





Love the lack of carpet in the room, makes it feel much cleaner. 

3 comments:

  1. 858km is a good ride.
    Where is this room?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photos, especialy your mom with her dear mother on day one! The first one on day is great; keep the pics coming!
    Hope tomorrow brings you some warm sunshine:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Day two is always the worse day for being tired. It'll get better

    ReplyDelete