Thursday 19 June 2014

Day 15

With the trip to Newfoundland cancelled, it was time to start heading south and then eventually back west. I took highway 4 south out of Sydney, and it was actually a decent road for the first half of the way to Port Hawkesbury, but eventually it too got quite rough. That made my decision for me, and I decided to take the Trans Canada to Halifax instead of looking for a different route. When I got to Truro the sun finally came out, staying for the rest of the day. I was a little grumpy up until that point, tired of overcast skies and cold temperatures. As I neared Halifax I passed a bus full of school kids. A waving arm caught my attention, and there's 6 or 7 of them staring out the back with one of the little girls waving. I waved back, which caused a flurry of more waving kids with ear to ear grins. None of the grins was as big as mine, those kids put a smile on my face that lasted for a few kilometers. Something so simple can put smiles on faces, and from what I've seen the world could use a few more smiles. 

It was a little after 3pm when I checked into my room in Halifax, after which I made some personal business calls. Having those matters taken care of after what felt like forever, I jumped on the bike and started for Peggy's Cove. By this time it was rush hour traffic, the 50km ride taking the better part of an hour.

The power of the water crashing onto the rocks at Peggy's Cove is pretty awesome, one can walk right to the water's edge on the rocks. I spent over an hour there, taking some video and some more pictures, before sitting down high up on one of the rocks and just letting my mind wander as I gazed out to the horizon. Had the hunger pangs not brought me to reality I may still be sitting there.

The ride back into Halifax was a nice winding road, perfect biking road. I was confident that I knew where I was going, but after I got to the city I made a few turns that I thought were wrong. I was too stubborn to stop and take a quick look at google maps, thinking it couldn't be that hard even though I've never been here before. Long story short, I got good and lost before finally coming to my senses and stopping to look at a map. I'll probably never know exactly where I was, but it wasn't anywhere close to where I should have been. I finally got myself back on track, stopped for dinner, and then headed back to the room.

I'll spend tomorrow riding around Nova Scotia and spend another night in the area somewhere before heading to Saint John on Saturday, with a stopover to check out the Hopewell Rocks. There weren't too many pictures today, besides the ones from Peggy's Cove.










The camera didn't even break when I took this photo!

No comments:

Post a Comment