Sunday 8 June 2014

Day 4

After a good night of sleep I awoke at about 7:20, and proceeded to be quite lazy again for the first hour of the day, drinking coffee and going through my morning devotional. I really enjoy the quiet of the morning, especially when I have all the time I need to wake up.

Dark clouds threatened rain as I was packing up the bike, and I hoped that stopping for a full breakfast might allow the rain to pass by. It held off until I was done eating, and fueling up the bike, but once I hit the road a light rain began falling.

I took the perimeter road around Winnipeg as there was nothing I needed in the city. If it had been dry I might have passed through just to take a look. The light rain continued to fall for the first hour, and if not for the gear I would have been soaked. About the same time the rain ended, the landscape began to change from prairie to forest. A few more times during the day there would be small showers, but as I drove deeper into Ontario the sun finally began to come out. It was beautiful weather for the last few hours on the road.

The scenery was basically just trees on both sides of the highway, and many lakes as well. Throughout the day I had to exercise a fair bit of patience, as the Trans Canada was no longer a divided highway in Ontario, and the speed limit was reduced to 90km/h. It felt strange to be doing 15 over the limit at 105km/h.

I lost another hour, as I passed into the eastern time zone about an hour west of Thunder Bay. I spent just under 10 hours riding the 754km for the day. Tomorrow I bring my bike in for a service job and a new rear tire, which will hopefully not take too long, so that I can get back on the road again for the afternoon and continue my trek east. I never got a look at Lake Superior today, and I'm looking forward to seeing the Great Lakes for the first time in my life.

View to the east this morning
Crossing over into Ontario for the first time
Saw a lot of this today, pic was taken while riding and actually turned out okay
Almost in Kenora
More trees, was beginning to like riding on highway 88 in Alberta
About 40km left to Thunder Bay
This is why I always make sure my shampoo and shower gel are in a ziplock bag, much nicer to have it contained than all over the clothes

1 comment:

  1. Ya missed nothing by bypassing Winterpeg. Ya made the right choice!

    ReplyDelete