Monday 16 June 2014

Day 12

I woke up fairly early today so that I could spend some time with my schedule for the coming few days. The ferry trips to and from Newfoundland needed to be booked, and at the same time I booked a few hotel rooms. I now have plans that will take me to Saturday morning, and that day I expect to be riding to Halifax. The freedom of not having plans is kind of nice, but it felt good to get things lined up as it means I should be able to squeeze in all the things I wanted to. Like I mentioned before, there's so much more I would like to see and do, but there's only so much one can do.

Once that was all done I loaded the bike, fueled up, and then road to Red Rock Harley Davidson just down the street. The rain gear I did have was cheap when I bought it, and it just wasn't cutting it anymore. New rain gear, gloves, and the obligatory t-shirt and I was on the road.

I thought of taking the ferry, but was told that as far as actual time, the bridge probably wouldn't slow me down much. It was a fairly short ride today anyway, so I decided to ride the bridge again (I seem to have a thing for bridges). By the time I got there the sun was starting to fight through the clouds. When I stopped to take a picture at the "Welcome to Nova Scotia" sign the sun was shining brightly. It was so nice to feel it's warmth, and things just look so much nicer with sunshine.

Not long after entering Nova Scotia I stopped for a coffee and a little something to eat. A couple from Halifax, travelling home on their motorcycle, had noticed my Alberta plate and asked if I'd ridden all the way. We spent the next 15 minutes chatting about travelling on bikes, something I enjoy. Everyone here has been really nice to talk to, very friendly and always informative. I enjoy that almost as much as riding, I find people and their stories so interesting.

Clouds and some fog rolled in after I passed by New Glasgow but it stayed dry. It was chilly all day today, hovering around 12 degrees all day. As I got closer to the day's destination the sun reappeared and it turned into a beautiful evening here. One thing the rain has done is really help everything look so green, the colors absolutely pop!

The place I'm staying has a restaurant and a guest laundry facility, so I spent the evening here getting my laundry done. I was going to have to do it sometime, and this worked out perfectly. Now I'm good for two weeks again. 

Tomorrow I ride the Cabot Trail, something I've been looking forward to since winter. So many people have recommended it, so I'm sure it will be all I've imagined it to be. I'll be staying in Baddeck tonight and tomorrow night, and then Wednesday just before midnight we set sail for Newfoundland.

Left too much money here this morning, but it should be worth it in the end



They get the red road, we get the grey one

View from my motel room, not too bad!

Went for a little stroll after dinner


The electrician in me snuck out and I took a look at the hookup while doing laundry, that's NOT code compliant!

No comments:

Post a Comment