Sunday 15 June 2014

Day 11

Being that the weather was not that great again today I decided to sleep in a little, only getting up a little after 8am. I took my time getting ready for the day, and after getting gas for the bike, a stop for a coffee and breakfast sandwich at Tim Horton's was in order. There's a Timmy's everywhere it seems, and by now I must have a few gallons of their coffee pass through me in that last 11 days!

After breakfast I rode a few kilometers east into the old downtown of Charlottetown. Despite my ever constant friend, the rain, I walked around for a couple hours. There were still quite a few people walking the streets and boardwalks, I can only imagine how busy this place must be once the season begins in July. It was neat to see some of the history and the old buildings, even the residential areas kind of maintain a quaint atmosphere.

The history lesson now over, it was time to get some riding in. There is so much beautiful scenery here that is almost seems like overload at times, and it's so diverse. A lot of farming takes place here, including a fair number of dairy farms. I passed a few big plants today, which I believe process a lot of the products being farmed. Due to the inclement weather I more or less just covered the middle portion from Summerside to Charlottetown. I had planned to see more of it, but the day got away from me a little, and the views were very limited anyway.

Someday I will come back to this place, maybe fly here and spend a week. That would give me time to play on what I imagine to be spectacular golf courses and just take more time to visit more places. From what I've seen of Canada so far on the trip, this is the only place that I could actually see myself living in besides home. It's hard to put it in words, but there is a calming of the mind when you're standing beside the water, hearing nothing but the waves coming in. It's a chance to disconnect for a little while, especially today when most people stayed in their cars.

On the boardwalk at the end of Sydney Street
Beaconsfield house, built in 1877 for a wealthy shipbuilder


Home of the Lieutenant Govenor
City Hall
Province House, which was put into use it 1847. Here leaders met in September of 1864 for the Charlottetown Conference, which resulted in the Canadian Confederation
I'm one lonely tourist:)


Boots in the Gulf of St. Lawrence


I paid $6.30 just to take this photo for any readers that may have read Anne of Green Gables

3 comments:

  1. Don't forget the all you can eat lobster dinners

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and, this is an interesting place. http://www.peisland.com/visit/capebear/cpbear.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cape Bear
    (height: 12.4 metres)

    The Cape Bear lighthouse was built in 1881 and houses one of seven Marconi Wireless Stations established by Marine and Fisheries in 1905-06.

    It was here that Thomas Bartlett heard the first distress signal from the Titanic as it sank off Newfoundland. Today, a museum stands on the original site of the Marconi Station.

    ReplyDelete