Sunday 10 May 2015

2015 - Day 7

Today was a disappointing day, one that I had waited for a long time but it didn't go as planned. The ride to Flagstaff, and then up to the Grand Canyon NP was nice, a mix of sun and cloud with no real bad weather in the forecast on The Weather Network app. It was cold in the NP, but I can handle the cold. Unfortunately, as I was getting my first look at the Grand Canyon at the Desert View outlook, there was a hint of snow starting to come down. I was hopeful that it would pass, but as I made my way to the second lookout point the snowfall began to increase.

It quickly became evident that today was not going to be the day to get a good look at the canyon, it was enveloped in white clouds that blocked any decent view one could get. As I made my west on 64 the weather kept getting worse, and I made the decision to head down to Williams where I had a room booked for one night.

There was a mix of snow and rain all the way down to Williams, my disappointment growing as I rode. I've waited to see the Grand Canyon since I was young boy, and to finally be there and not get to see it was hard to swallow.

I checked into the room, shivering from the cold and wet conditions, taking quite a long time to warm up. The weather channel was showing terrible weather conditions all across the USA, which made the snow easier to deal with. Folks were dealing with all sorts of bad weather, including tornados in some parts of Texas and the mid-west. My hope for a nice sunny day on Sunday was almost dashed, but weather can change so I went to bed knowing there was still a chance.

Snow still on the vehicles in Flagstaff from the previous day's snowfall
I was so jacked to be here!
Still not too bad, wow that's a nice view
It quickly began to look like this, but the next lookout point was all white
The real snowfall begins

No comments:

Post a Comment