Saturday 16 May 2015

2015 - Day 13

Well today turned out to be a long day, one of the longest I've spent on the road so far this trip. I started the day in Bishop, CA with mostly sunny skies but that changed not long after hitting the road. It wasn't unexpected that I'd deal with some weather today, there was a system moving through. Due to that system both the Tioga and Sonora Passes were closed because of snow, which meant that getting to Yosemite wasn't going to happen from the east side of the Sierra Nevada mountains. I made the decision to head west for the coast, leaving some unfinished business in California. That's not so bad though, gives me a good reason to come back some day.

Highway 395 was open, as was highway 50, so that's the route I ended up using to get across. I hit some rain, and multiple times I ended up riding in snow for a little while. Thankfully the temps were just warm enough to keep the roads wet and not icy, though it was barely above freezing in the higher elevations. It felt like I was never going to be able to warm up a few times during the day, and stopping for lunch didn't seem to help much in that regard.

Once I got over Echo Summit and started descending the temperatures gradually increased as well, and eventually the sun started making appearances. By the time I left Placerville it was sunny and warm, something I was so thankful for by that point. Like I always seem to do, I made my way through the Sacramento area right in the heat of rush hour. It again made me wonder why people choose to live in cities like that, I just couldn't handle that at all. Traffic was barely moving once I got close to I-5 on I-80, but once I got a little way down I-5 it was flowing smoothly. I got off the interstate and onto highway 20 headed west.

There was a little rain shower on highway 20, but it was light and the temperature was warm so it actually was refreshing. The air smells so good after a rain, especially when it's warm. I kept pushing onwards, though by now I was getting quite tired after a long day on the road. I finally called it a day and got a room in Ukiah, about an hour or so from the Pacific Coast now. The next couple days should be pretty easy as I'll relax a litle as I make my way north along the coast. 

I'll have seen most of what I wanted to on this year's trip once I get up the coast, so at this point it's likely that I'll be home somewhere around the end of next week, unless something changes in the next few days. Right now I'm very tired so it's time to call it a night. Not a ton of pictures today as it was mostly a travel day.


Once again today the tops of the mountains were mostly shrouded by clouds, though I saw them peak through a few times

Looks like great motorcycle weather doesn't it!?!


Pounding the slab north on I-5, loved the feeling of just roaring down the road after dealing with city traffic in Sacramento
Headed west on California 20
Now this is some beautiful country here

Time for me and the hog to get some rest. Bike has run like a champ again on the trip so far, knock on wood

No comments:

Post a Comment