Tuesday 5 May 2015

2015 - Day 2

I got off to a later start than I had hoped for today, for some reason the morning just seemed to pass quickly. I am on vacation I suppose, but I do like to get started somewhat early so that the day doesn't get away from me as quickly. There are advantages to traveling light, loading the bike for the day takes hardly any time when one only has to secure one bag.

The air was chilly as I left Red Deer, the perfect temperature to shake any remaining cobwebs from the brain. The sun was shining, and as the miles passed it brought promise of a warm day ahead. Passing through Calgary on the Deerfoot Trail was a breeze, having to hardly slow down at all. I stopped in Okotoks for a coffee with a friend and ex-coworker. The break went a little longer than I'd planned but it was good to catch up and relax a little.

I only left there at around 1pm, with a lot of riding yet to do to make the goal that I'd set for myself. By now it was warm enough for me to start shedding some layers. Shortly before 4:30pm I had successfully crossed the border and was back in the USA.

A quick fuel stop in Shelby, along with a much needed replenishing of fluids for myself, and then I was back on the highway headed south. The wide open spaces of southern Alberta and Montana are pretty awesome, as one can see for miles all around. The temperatures by now were in the mid 20's so it was nice and warm for riding. 

I-15 from Great Falls to Butte has some amazing scenery, just wild and free country that inspires the soul. It seemed to also inspire my trusty steed, as we carved through some of the tighter sections at well over the posted speed limits, the roar of the engine calming my spirit. There is just something about the state of Montana that calls me, and if I ever were to move it would be one state that I would highly consider.

After another fuel stop in Helena I set out on the final leg of the day. The smell of campfires, BBQ's, and the sweet smells of summer filling the air. It was right around 8pm when I departed Helena, the sun starting to set behind the hills and mountains I was riding through. As it does in spring/early summer, the air began to cool off rapidly, though it was still pleasant as I arrived in Butte.

By the time I'd had a quick snack and checked into my room it was after 9:30pm. I was thouroughly tired so maybe it was a blessing in disguise that the wi-fi in the room didn't work at all. The TV remote didn't work either so I took it as a sign that I was supposed to shower and call it a night after a little relaxation. I've been riding hard, considering that my body isn't used to sitting on a bike all day, and it took no time to fall asleep.

Kind of boring scenery but you can see as far as the eye allows
Almost in Lethbridge
Waiting to cross the border 
You couldn't have paid me enough to trade places with the people in that airplane
This is why I ride!


Down in that valley is Helena
Something I do a few times each day, would be nice to have a much larger fuel tank

My home for the night, Butte, MT

No comments:

Post a Comment