Thursday 14 May 2015

2015 - Day 12

After going through the typical morning routine I left the hotel and headed east to see the Hoover Dam. Traffic wasn't bad when I got on the road just before 9am, and before I knew it I was at the day's first destination. I didn't realize I could actually cross the road that's built on top of the dam, so it was kind of cool to ride across. I crossed back over and parked the bike, took the elevator down from the parking garage, and then walked out onto the dam to look and take some pictures. It's amazing how far down the outlet side is, and to believe it only took them around 4 years to build that! Once I was done looking I rode back up to the highway, and just for kicks I rode across the bridge and then back over. Now I can say I've been over the world's highest concrete arch bridge, 840 feet above the Colorado River. It's also the second highest bridge in all of the USA.

Once that was done I was back on the road, staying on highway 95 all the way through Las Vegas, headed for Death Valley National Park. Again the traffic volume was manageable through Vegas, but I was still kind of glad to put the city in my mirrors. It is some lonely country riding up 95 out of Sin City, there just isn't much there other than a prison and an Air Force base. All I can say is that I'm glad I don't have to serve time in that prison!

I topped off the gas tank in Armagosa Valley, and then kept continuing on for Death Valley, crossing into California on highway 373. Coming into Death Valley is pretty cool, from an elevation of 3000 feet above sea level one drops down to well below sea level crossing through the valley. The winds were very strong all day, especially down there, and the sand was blowing pretty hard as I passed by the sand dunes. I passed a truck with a blade on the front, and I'm guessing they were moving some sand off the road.

After stopping for a snack at Stovepipe Wells, I was back on the road, climbing this time to a summit of 4956 feet above sea level (Stovepipe Wells was 5 feet above sea level). It's so much different there than I had imagined, especially getting from Death Valley to highway 395. There are two mountain ranges to cross over, separated by another valley. The second pass features a road that's much more narrow, with many tight curves and steep drop-offs beside the road. It was a little nerve wracking for me there, especially with the high wind gusts pushing me around. The wind literally blew the helmet off my head a few times, and it fits pretty snug.

Coming down from the second pass and into the town of Lone Pine I got my first look at the Sierra Nevada mountain range, though most of the tops were covered in clouds. Mount Whitney (14,405 feet), the highest point in the lower 48 states was covered in clouds, and it's only around 85 miles from the lowest point in Death Valley at 282 feet below sea level.

Riding up 395 was nice, there was more vegetation again which makes it feel nicer to me. The desert isn't for me, just feels too barren and I could never make myself at home there. I suppose that probably comes from where I grew up, and what's familiar. The last 20km of the ride today was raining, and I was happy to stop in Bishop, CA for the night. I've screwed up by taking the route I did today, putting myself on the eastern side of the Sierra Nevada range. Snow in the higher elevations has closed off a lot of the passes across the mountains, and now I'll need to come up with a plan for tomorrow. Seeing Yosemite National Park may have to wait for another trip, unless I figure something out. I'd like to spend some more time in the region than I have this year, so it might be best to leave that for another year.

I'd like to take a moment to thank you, the readers, for continuing to read the daily reports. It makes it more enjoyable to write them knowing that someone is at least checking them out. The all-time views on my blog have surpassed 10,000 now which actually blows my mind. When I started it was mostly to keep family in the loop. So thanks for following along, and hopefully it inspires you all to get out and see some of this great planet we live on!




That's a looooong way down
Crossed that bridge just so I can say that I did


Power grid for my electrician friends, though we don't work on stuff that big
Highway 95 north of Vegas



I'm kind of glad it was only a two digit temperature today, notice that I'm well below sea level here at the Furnace Creek visitor center
Riding across Death Valley
Stovepipe Wells

From Death Valley you climb and descend the far mountain range to a summit of 4956 feet, cross another valley, and then climb to where I took this picture (close to 4000 feet again)
Sierra Nevada mountain range, the snowy peaks covered by the clouds today

No comments:

Post a Comment