Friday 8 May 2015

2015 - Day 6

After spending two nights in Moab I was back on the road again this morning. It started off sunny but really chilly once again. It was also windy right from the start of the day, and just kept getting windier throughout the day. I traveled south on highway 191, and after topping off the gas tank in Bluff I made my way east on 162 which turns into 41 after crossing the state line into Colorado. Shortly after crossing in New Mexico I got my chance to visit the Four Corners monument. From there I headed south again, crossing into Arizona and then into New Mexico again.

At Shiprock, NM I turned south on highway 491 and booked it down to Gallup, where I finally decided I was hungry enough to have a quick lunch. I was kind of tired already by now, the constant wind and gusts making me work harder than usual while traveling. Winds were at 60km/h as I traveled west on I-40 and by the time I was in Winslow, AZ I was done. Good thing I stopped, the front desk lady told me it was snowing in Flagstaff. Thankfully it didn't snow while I was still on the road!

Looking back on the day I kind of wish I would have picked a different route today. The scenery was new, and still kind of cool in Utah and New Mexico, but northeastern Arizona is pretty ugly in my opinion. Maybe it's tinged a little by the dust storms along the way and the fatigue from fighting wind all day. One thing that surprised me a little is that Arizona doesn't observe daylight saving time, so it's actually the same as the Pacific time zone now. It's 7:40 here now and it's almost completely dark already, which feels wierd compared to the long summer days at home.

I didn't take a lot of pictures today, a few while I was riding when there was a chance. I'm really hoping that the weather tomorrow is nicer than today, it's the day where I finally get to see the Grand Canyon (something I've waited a long time for). Expect a lot more picture tomorrow!


A nice lady was kind enough to offer to take my picture






No comments:

Post a Comment