Friday 26 July 2013

Second Home

For the third time in six weeks I arrived in Red Deer once again, probably the last time this summer. My bike will be in the shop tomorrow morning, getting the 1600km service done. I'm over 2400km already, I don't mind getting a few more before they go over it for the first time. My plan is to do my own maintenance on the bike for the most part from here on in, it would save me a lot of money. 

I began the day with a few hours of work at the project in Peace River, mostly just confirming everything was good to go before they finish the walls. There were no problems, which is what I was expecting. 

After finishing there, I had some breakfast and then pointed my bike south. The sun was out and it was warm. On the suggestion from my brother Tim, I took the Grizzly Trail (highway 33) through Swan Hills to Westlock. I've always wanted to take that road, but hadn't thought of it now. It only added around 10km to the day's ride. The scenery is similar to that on Highway 43, but a change was very welcome. There was heavy cloud cover for most of that stretch of riding, but it never rained. Traffic was busy everywhere today, everyone was heading somewhere for the weekend. 

With all the riding I've done lately I would have expected to see more wildlife. I'm pretty sure I saw a mountain lion for the first time in my life today, it was a little too far away to be sure. Saw a black bear right beside the road yesterday. I'm always thankful when I don't see deer though!

By the time I crossed the Yellowhead the sun was shining brightly again, though the wind wasn't letting up. When I joined the traffic on the Deuce (QE2) I had some fun making my way through all the cars. As big as the Ultra may be, it's still quite agile. The more I ride the bike the more I like it, all the little options make the miles just melt away. 

I got a bite to eat in Red Deer and then spent some time in a bookstore. I got a few strange looks walking into a Christian bookstore all strung out from the road, which made me smile a little. Hopefully the book I picked out will help me on the journey of life. 

The hotel I'm staying at is right beside the dealership, so I can make use of it after dropping off the bike in the morning. Time to relax a little and then turn in. 



No comments:

Post a Comment