Monday 8 July 2013

Day 24

Today began early for me, one of the earlier starts to a day on the vacation so far. I decided it would be good to get out of the house the same time as Stan, not that I was going to be pressed for time, but I do lose an hour due to leaving the Pacific time zone. I could easily have stayed in bed another hour, and contemplated it, but once I was up I was good to go. Stan and I said our goodbyes and he was off to work. A few minutes later I had the bike loaded and I rolling. 

While getting gas for the bike I got a hunger pang, so a stop at Ihop for breakfast was in order. I was glad I took the time, because I felt much more ready after the meal. 

Four days of not riding felt strange after being on the bike every day for three weeks, but it was very enjoyable to be in the wind once again. The miles melted away today, probably due to being well rested. The four days with Stan & Jessie in Pasco were awesome, and I will miss the two of them, and I will even miss their dogs:). Sometimes it sucks when good friends are far away, but I'm glad that we do get to stay connected. This whole journey so far has really made me wonder at times where it is that I belong, I feel like a man without a home some days. It was my hope that I would find some answers on this trip, but so far I'm left with more questions. 

The temperature has been very warm for the last two weeks, and today it never warmed up too much. It seemed to get cooler as I made my way north, a very nice temperature for riding. I took highway 395 north, which eventually merges with I-90. A little way into Idaho, I turned north onto highway 95, which would take me over the border. It was 3:15 MST when I crossed over into my motherland, another quick and easy crossing. By the time I arrived in Cranbrook a light rain was falling, but not enough to get uncomfortable. I stopped for a snack and then continued on. 

A little south of Fairmont I pulled into a rest stop for a little break. Prairie dogs have built themselves quite a city there, and it was kind of neat to sit and watch them. I probably say there for half an hour before hitting the road. The Tim Hortons in Invermere was calling my name, nowhere in the USA was I able to find coffee like we have at Timmy's. A bowl of chilli and a sandwich would be enough for dinner, the coffee was exactly what I needed. 20 minutes later I was checking into my room at the Crystal Springs Motel in Radium Hot Springs. 

Even though the miles flew by, it still took 9 hours (plus the hour I lost) to get here. A bit of a short night, combined with riding all day, have me feeling tired. I will sleep well tonight, and then ride through the Canadian Rockies tomorrow. It looks like I will be heading to Red Deer once again, this time to look at possibly trading my cruiser for a touring model. Time will tell, I'm a little uncertain, especially after how well the bike has worked for me.

Shortly after this the landscape begins to change
Northern Idaho, not far from the international border
Just after crossing through customs, curious lack of flags from either country at the crossing, unless I somehow missed them
Beautiful country coming up highway 93 from Cranbrook

This little guy was quite brave, all the rest disappeared anytime I got within 15 feet. I'm only about 5-6 feet away from this dog
Where I lay my head is home:)

No comments:

Post a Comment