Tuesday 9 July 2013

Day 25

With a relatively short ride planned for today, I was able to enjoy my morning coffee. The sun was out, but the temperature was cool compared to what I've become used to. It was very comfortable outside getting ready, and once I got going the cool air felt very refreshing. Highway 93 heading northeast out of Radium Hot Springs is a great road to start a day on. The traffic was light, and the scenery was fantastic. At one of the stops I got to talking with a couple from Grimshaw, pretty close to home. As usual, they seemed surprised that I was travelling alone after asking me about my vacation. 

As I turned into Highway 1 the traffic got significantly heavier, but I carved my way through them with ease. My bike seemed to enjoy the ride today, it's getting smoother the more I ride. After making the transition onto the Icefield Parkway, the traffic lessened a little. I didn't take a lot of pictures today, as I took a bunch coming through last year. It was kind of fun to just ride and not worry about trying to capture all the great sights. 

After getting gas and some food at The Crossing, I proceeded to head east on highway 11. This road also features majestic scenery, but it felt much too quick as the mountains began to fade in my mirrors. If it's not clear by now, I enjoy the mountain landscapes! Another thing I noticed as I got away from the park was the large increase in bugs. It made me realize how few bugs I've dealt with in the last three weeks. I can only imagine that they will get worse as I get closer to home. 

My sister and brother-in-law are camping close to Red Deer with his family, and it was only a few kilometres out of the way to stop in and see them. I ended up spending a few hours there, and they even fed me! It was relaxing to sit and enjoy the outdoors, and I think I would probably throw on a tent the next time I take a trip like this. Doing a mix of renting and hotels would be a great way to change it up, and probably save me quite a lot of money. Big thanks to Fred & Vanessa for inviting me over and feeding me dinner. 

It was about a half hour into Red Deer from there, and after checking in, it was time for a well deserved shower. I'm quite tired after the shower, and I would like to be at the dealership first thing tomorrow. I'm still unsure what I will do, but if the right deal is there I could be changing bikes. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens. 

Short distance out of Radium
Still on highway 93

On the Icefield Parkway
Camera washes out how deep the color of the water actually was
Along highway 11, outside of the park

No comments:

Post a Comment