Friday 12 July 2013

Day 28

Today will be the last day of my trip, naturally I was feeling a little down when I awoke in the morning. The skies were cloudy, and it had rained during the night. The prospect of riding in the rain didn't bother me much, but it was really cold outside today. 

My folks and I had breakfast together, and then they were off. I loaded the bags for the last time, got gas for the bike, and then hit the road. There were heavy winds, and periods of showers that never lasted too long. The big bag doesn't fit on the passenger seat very well, leading to some discomfort, but even still this bike is way more comfortable. My feet never touched ground in the first 240km of the day, traffic lights were green, and I rolled through stop signs. 

In Manning I made my final gas stop of the trip, an also ate a sandwich. Met a friend there as well, and we chatted while I devoured lunch. Back on the road, the sun was peaking out of the clouds at times, but it remained cold all the way home. It never got over 10C (50F), in the middle of summer. The new bike has heated grips, and I had them on the whole way home. 

The ferry crossing at the Peace River always signifies that home is close, another 75km left to go. Coming home is bittersweet, as I will really miss seeing new country almost every day. It will be cool to sleep in my own bed, but all day thoughts of the next trip were floating through my head. There's so much more to see, and eastern Canada is high on my list of places to visit. Anyone out there feel like sponsoring another trip?

Had dinner with my brother Tim and his wife Chrissy, and it was great to catch up with them. I'm home now, have the bags unpacked, and the laundry basket is full. Tomorrow I will be washing my clothes and the bike if the weather is good. Right now it's time to get the photos on the computer and probably look through some of them. 

Obviously now that I'm home there won't be daily blog entries anymore, a task that I quite enjoyed over the last four weeks. It's a great resource for me as well, it will help to keep the memories alive as I look back in the future. I still plan to make an entry every now and then until I travel again. Hope you all enjoyed following along on my journey, one that is really never complete. 

The Almighty granted safety throughout the trip, never even having any mechanical failures during the almost 12,000km travelled, and blessed me with amazing experiences! I feel as though this trip has changed my perspective in many ways, and strengthened my faith. Life truly is a like a road, we never know what's around the next corner, but the guiding hands of our Creator always steer us in the direction He has chosen. I look forward to seeing where the journey will take me!

Cya in the wind:)

No comments:

Post a Comment