Thursday 4 July 2013

Day 19

After a nice breakfast, and some more coffee in the room, I was back on the road. This will be the last day of riding for a few days, as I will be spending time with friends in the Tri-Cities area in Washington. I've been looking forward to doing some catching up with them, celebrating the 4th of July here, and just getting a chance to rest a little. Three weeks if riding every day isn't something my back is used to, although I haven't gotten to tired yet. 

It was a breezy day for the most part, and I would fight headwinds and crosswinds all day. My fuel mileage was well down from the normal as well. The wind deflectors lasted until Boise, where I pulled over and took them off. They just created terrible wind patterns on my current setup, which was too bad. 

It was a nice day outside, a little cooler than it has been, but still very warm. Despite all the wind, the miles went by quickly, and I enjoyed the ride. Shortly after entering Oregon I entered the Pacific Time Zone, the first time zone change in my entire trip, encompassing 2 provinces and 9 states. I hadn't thought about that in the morning, but it still worked out well. 

Throughout my journey so far, I've met many bikers, and today I met two that stood out. There was a younger one, probably late 20's that was doing his first out of state run, and I could identify with his enthusiasm. The other was an older gentleman, riding an '06 Triumph Bonneville, making what he said was his last hurrah. It was kind of sad to think of him making his last big trip, hopefully he gets to keep doing them in the future. There is always a story to every person we meet, and I always like to hear ad much as I can. It doesn't matter where we come from, race, gender, or age. People all seem to have a part of them that needs adventure, to find what's around the other bend, and to develop human connections to share with. 

I arrived in Pasco right around 6:00pm, and had a happy reunion with Stan and Jessie. It was really nice to see familiar faces, and as we sat and visited the evening just flew by. Sometimes the days are much too short. Right now it's late and time for me to get some sleep!





No comments:

Post a Comment