Wednesday 10 July 2013

Day 26

It kind of felt like I had come full circle this morning as I headed over to Gasoline Alley HD in Red Deer. They got my Heritage in the shop first thing to go over it and establish a value for trade in. I hadn't realized the sales department wouldn't be in until 9, which gave me time to do breakfast. 

When I returned, the sales guy and I spent some time talking, although I pretty much knew what I was looking for. Patrick Cousine is the man to talk to if you're coming here, he's a rider from way back and knows what's up. The staff here is very low pressure, they never made me feel like they were in a rush to get it done. He set me up with a demo bike, same thing I was looking at, and told me to get a feel for the bike. There was no limit on mileage, just be back in three hours. He probably knew this, but that made a big impact on my decision. 

This trip has taught me a ton, and I think I can finally call myself a biker. I tossed my jacket on the floor at one point to sit on the bike, and after I picked it up the sales guy made an observation. He said that over all his years in the business he'd learned how to pick out the actual riders from all the people he sees. I guess me tossing my jacket on the floor instead of hanging it up, or getting him to hold it put me in the "real" rider group. Probably just trying to butter me up:)

The demo ride was exactly what I needed. I took it out on the freeway, back roads, and city streets to get an idea of how it felt in all different situations. I was blown away by how smooth the ride is, and how agile it was for a big bike. Features like cruise control, and even the stereo, are all things to make the trip more comfortable as well. Overall, the entire package makes the Ultra Limited a great machine. 

Once I got back it took a few hours to get everything in order after I said yes to the deal. The service and attention to detail was impressive throughout the day. What I really liked was that they never seemed shady, every number was discussed, every question answered without reservation. The whole buying experience was low pressure, every decision was mine to make. I don't plan on buying another bike for a long time, but wouldn't even consider any other stores for the next one. I highly recommend this shop for anyone interested in a Harley!

I was out of the door before 4:00, itching to start the break in process. I cruised all through the streets of Red Deer, and then eventually got out on some of the back roads. The actual name of the bike is the Electra Glide Ultra Limited, and it really does glide! Had I known last year what I know now, this is the one I would have started out with. I could have ridden the same roads in a car, and it wouldn't have been anything close to this experience. Riding a car is like watching something on TV, everything is framed by the windows. Riding is actually get out, no climate control, no frames, just raw nature. There is simply no better way to travel, period. 

Like so many days in the last month, today felt surreal. I've been totally blessed to have the experiences I've had, and will forever remember this month of my life. I finally got to live the dream, which has created many more dreams! The trip isn't quite over, I will probably take two days to get home, just because I need to take it easy on the bike tomorrow. I certainly want to break it in right, it's got to run for many years now. Part of me is looking forward to coming home, especially catching up with people. None of my friends and family back home have blogs for me to read, so I'm looking forward to catching up. A big part of me wants to keep this going, but alas, that's not my reality at this point. 

I wish the pictures could capture how amazing the yellow is out in the sun, the pearl coat is sick!
Electra Glide Ultra Limited, FLHTK (aka Geezer Glide, Bagger, Full Dresser)



No comments:

Post a Comment