Wednesday 19 June 2013

Day 5

This morning started off wet and cloudy, thunderstorms sweeping through Fernie during the night. I don't mine the cooler temperatures, but it would be nice to begin a day of travelling with sunshine. After breakfast, I once again got everything on the bike and headed for the Canada/USA border. It was a nice ride, traffic was light, and everything smelled fresh from the rain. 

The border crossing took approximately 3 minutes, which surprised me somewhat. I was expecting many more questions, but maybe the agent knew I had nothing to hide:). This is only my second time crossing into the USA by vehicle. 

It's a beautiful drive to the town of Whitefish, where I stopped to get gas and some food for later on in the day. From Whitefish I rode east, and after buying a National Park pass, I decided to ride up to Avalanche Creek. This is as far as Going to the Sun Road is open on the west side, and it was disappointing to not really even get up into the mountains. I stopped to eat a tuna sandwich, and then rode the 16 miles back to Highway 2. As is quickly becoming the norm, it began raining as I turned east. I missed a lot of great scenery, as the skies opened up and it poured from the heavens. At East Glacier Park Village, a few guys who followed me for the entire downpour had a chuckle at my expense. I was hoping to go up the east side of Going to the Sun Road, but I will do that sometime when I can cross all the way over and the weather is better. 

A few miles after Browning, the winds began gusting, and now the rain came down in sheets. It got a little sketchy as the wind was blowing me all over the road, a few gusts threatened to push me right off the road. Straight ahead the skies were dark, a nice setting for the lightning. I arrived in the town of Choteau, where I decided to call it a day. I only put up 482km, but the hotel looked more inviting than the thunderstorms. 

If ever you are in the area, the Stage Stop  Inn is a great place to stay. The staff was super friendly, the rooms are huge, clean, and very well priced, and the Elk Country Grill right beside it makes great food. Not many good pictures today, but here's a few. 

I had just crossed the border here

Just past Columbia Falls, heading to Glacier NP

Hard to tell in the photo, but there is a stream that drops all the way down the face of the mountain. This was as far as I could go up the Going to the Sun Road. 

Coming back down, love the color of the water

My home for the night

No comments:

Post a Comment