Sunday 30 June 2013

Day 16

After a great night of sleep, I was ready to get back on the road this morning. No matter how tired I am at the end of a day, by morning the blacktop is once again calling. I've wondered many times why I have such a desire to see new places, and it must just be the human instinct to see what's around the next corner, over the next hill. Riding a motorcycle has been a great way to experience this journey, there are no distractions from electronics. Just me and the open road, all the sights and smells, nothing standing between me and the elements. 

The day started in Grand Junction, a sunny and warm morning. For some reason, I had it in my head the Utah would be boring, thinking the only scenic parts were in the south. I don't know why I have these preconceived notions in my head, but they seem to always be wrong. The heat of the day was coming quickly, but I was ready for it. Riding today, I once again thought of the early travellers through these lands. What must have been going through their minds. It must have felt like they were at the end of the earth. The rock formations are magnificent works of creation, and once again I didn't even see the best of the state. There is much here left to see, and I will be back. 

The route today had me on some interstates and some two-lane highway. Shortly after Green River, I turned north on US-6. The interstate system is awesome, and when the traffic is light it's easy travelling. Traffic was very steady today, but there are plenty of passing lanes on US-6 to keep it flowing nicely. There were two times today where I thought I was getting pulled over, both times the trooper passed me and stopped someone else. The way the bike is geared, 65mph is the worst speed to try and stay at. I don't like the high RPM in fifth gear, and feel like I'm lugging the engine in sixth. 75mph is the perfect speed, and it's where I get the best fuel mileage. Another interesting thing I've noticed, even with my full load, the uphill stretches don't hurt the fuel mileage as much as the downhill sections help.

All throughout the journey so far I've thought often how different the places feel compared to home. Yet everywhere I travel people are right at home. A quote by Crazy Horse has lingered in my head, and it carries so much truth. "My lands are where my dead lie buried". 

One thing that has stood out to me has been the friendliness of everyone I've met. I've had great chats with complete strangers, and a lot of friendly small talk. I've been treated very well everywhere I've gone, even like family by some. Bikers of every type are friendly, and it's a comfort to know that they all would seem come to my aid if needed. 

Here's a few pics from today, quite a few of which were taken while riding (safely of course). 


This picture almost doesn't look real, the blacktop was really black here. 







Truly he is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honour depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge Psalm 62:6-7

No comments:

Post a Comment