Monday 24 June 2013

Day 10

After a great night of sleep, and a little relaxation in the morning I pointed my front wheel to the east and twisted the throttle. Crossing the Bighorn mountain range was fantastic, just another highlight in an amazing journey so far! The scenery is western Wyoming is second to none, much better than I had anticipated. The skies were overcast, but it was warm. I also hadn't realized that the elevation would be over 9000 feet on the plateau at the top. It looked like great ATV country up there, and it would have been fun to ride the trails. Just passing through, it looked like a popular destination for outdoor adventure vacationers. 

Coming down on the east side was a thrill, miles of switchbacks with the familiar hairpin curves. Not much in the world beats riding a road like that, listening to the compression braking of the engine rumble through the pipes. I could see for miles as I came down, something that's always kind of cool. 

I stopped in Sheridan to get gas and to sit down for a real meal. I haven't done that in the last few days, just packing light lunches of veggies, fruit, and some trail mix. After I got back on the road the temperatures climbed steadily, it must have been 30 Celsius by time I hit Gillette. It's the first time on the trip that it got that warm, not something I'm used to at all. 

A little way down the road, in Moorcroft, I turned north of the interstate and headed for the Devils Tower monument. That is an impressive geological formation, the way it comes up out of the ground in such a symmetrical fashion. I've seen the pictures many times, but it really is so much better in person. 

After seeing that it was back to highway 14, heading east to where it joins back up with I-90. After getting back on the interstate I really started wishing I had cruise control on the bike, it would make travelling so much more comfortable. I've learned already that if I do another trip like this I will be doing it with a touring bike. The thought of trading the Heritage in for an Ultra Limited keeps haunting my thoughts. My bike has been running like an absolute champ so far, the only issue I have had was the burned out passing lamp. 

I got to the hotel a little early today, which was perfect, because I needed to do some laundry for the first time on the trip. I ordered a pizza in to the room and watched the final two periods of the hockey game. It was nice to see Chicago win, as I'm a pretty big Toews fan. It was the first time I had turned on a TV in four days. Now it's time for a little reading and figuring out a game plan for tomorrow. Should be spending the day riding some amazing roads in the Black Hills!

A little east of Greybull, just before getting into the Bighorn mountains
The eastern sun really makes the red in that rock come alive 
Somewhere on the way up the western side
Up on the plateau of the Bighorn mountains. Elevation here was a little over 9000 feet
Just starting the descent. Miles of switchbacks later I will be down there somewhere
They like bikers at this restaurant in Sheridan, getting the royal treatment
Devils tower from the distance

Devils Tower, with a little perspective from the vehicles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment