Tuesday 27 June 2017

2017 - Day 13

We had a great room in Revelstoke, even though it was tiny, but for some reason I wasn't able to sleep very well last night. I woke up feeling tired but that feeling kind of passed after a little while. Leona and I had a typical light continental breakfast and then packed the bike and headed up to Revelstoke Mountain Resort. A co-worker had told Leona about the pipe coaster and we decided we wanted to do that this morning. Let me just say, if anyone of you is in the area and you have time, it's well worth the price of admission to do this ride. There are videos on YouTube of the pipe coaster, check them out if you want to know what it's like, it was a blast! The little carts go down the pipe just like a roller coaster, and the rider can control the speed. Such a fun way to start the day:)

After our (not so cheap) thrills, we hit the highway again at around 11:30. Not too far from Revelstoke we walked the Giant Cedar Boardwalk, which was pretty cool. Some of the trees are just massive and the vegetation is so lush.

There was quite a bit of construction going on up at the Rogers Pass, which was actually good, because we ended up riding slow and having more time to take in the scenery. I say this every time, but I think the mountains are more beautiful every time I ride through them. I was thinking about it today, and there's can't be a whole lot of the Trans Canada highway left that I haven't ridden in the last five years. I've been so lucky to finally live this dream, and now I get to share it with someone I love.

We stopped for a late lunch in Golden, and then made the final run down to Radium Hot Springs where we have a room booked. I got so sleepy on the ride that we pulled over and rested on a picnic table at a rest stop. It was there that we realized that we were back in the mountain time zone, which made our lunch in Golden even later. 

After arriving in Radium and checking into the motel, we lounged around the room a little, and chatted with four female riders from Colorado. We've talked to, and see so many, bikers in the last week or so. That's always a fun part of the trips for me, the people and their stories. Eventually we showered and then walked to the Horsethief Creek Pub for a small dinner. Walking in the evening is so nice after being on the bike, a chance to stretch out a little. Now it's time to get some rest, hopefully sleep well tonight.

Starting the gondola up to the start of the pipe coaster
Almost at the top of the gondola, what a view!
This little cart is supposed to carry me down that small pipe?
A view from the top, with the pipe going into a tunnel
Those leaves are quite large!

Got me some new pants, the ones I'm wearing were getting see-through
The 150mm howitzers they used to shoot down avalanches

Our home for the night, it's been totally redone since I stayed here 4 years ago
Walking to dinner, and the sheep are already enjoying theirs
Down the street to the motel

1 comment:

  1. Now I know what a pipe coaster is. Looks fun. Is there and minimum age or height or something like that?

    ReplyDelete