Tuesday 1 July 2014

Day 27

Today it was back on the road, something I was looking forward to when I awoke. I got off to a late start after sleeping in until 8:30, the latest I've slept so far on the trip. There was a mix of sun and cloud for most of the day, more sun than cloud though. The temperature was very comfortable as well, quite warm by the afternoon.

I set out from Swift Current, heading for Pincher Creek. After a gas and lunch stop in Medicine Hat I turned onto highway 3 west. Despite the late start and also taking my time for most of the day I still arrived in Pincher Creek early. The plan was to ride Going to the Sun road in Glacier National Park tomorrow but the website is telling me that the road isn't open all the way yet. That's a really disappointing turn of events as it opened on June 21 last year, the day after I wanted to ride it back then. Maybe they'll have it open by the time I arrive tomorrow, it sure would be nice to finally ride that road.

There was a lot of farm land on the ride today, the smell of blooming canola reminded me of home. Some may find the farm land boring but it's in my blood from when I was a kid and I enjoy seeing all the crops growing. Though the prairies don't feel like home, some of the areas today looked different and better than I thought they would.

As I wasn't in the mood for city traffic I decided to bypass Lethbridge, riding through Picture Butte as a bypass. Being Canada Day I was expecting to come across some celebrations in the towns today, but not once did I see anything of the sort. At dinner my waitress didn't think anything was happening here in Pincher Creek either in regards to Canada Day. The volume of RV's on the roads today make it obvious that the summer vacation season is about to explode into action.

If the Sun Road isn't open tomorrow there should still be some good scenery hopefully, and regardless I'll be ending up in Missoula for night as I already have a room booked there. I'm looking forward to spending the weekend with friends in Washington before beginning the trek home next week.


Back in my home province for 24 hours or so
Saw a lot of these grain elevators today


Alberta foothills

No comments:

Post a Comment