Thursday 2 August 2018

2018(2) - Day 9

I slept in this morning, the latest I've slept on this trip, getting up at 8am. The hotel was pretty quiet while I ate breakfast, just one other guest having breakfast with me. I got the wheels rolling just before 9am, making the final leg of the trip home.

It was relaxing to make some miles in the morning, traffic was light and the weather was perfect. It didn't take long to get to Peace River, where I stopped for a quick lunch at Tim Hortons. The skies were growing darker to the north as I made my way to Manning but I didn't want to stop to put on rain gear. The skies opened up as I hit the 70km/h zone on the south end of Manning, and I was drenched by the time I dove under the canopy at the Esso. I waited out the thunderstorm while I put fuel in the bike, spending around 20 minutes there.

There were a few more little showers to ride through on the final leg home, but just short ones that didn't make me too wet. I got home 10 minutes before Leona was done work and it was really good to see her again after a little over a week apart. It's nice to come home to someone, something I'm still not quite used to.

This was a fantastic trip, really enjoyed spending time with the guys and seeing some great scenery. If I get the chance to ride with Peter, Kevin, and Randy again I'd do in a heartbeat. My total was just over 4,700km for the trip, and I'm now at almost 20,000km for the season. The bike did just a little better on fuel riding solo, averaging 51.7mpg (43.1 US mpg) or 5.5L/100km. It was also a cheaper trip as we were able to share rooms, though a few of the rooms were quite expensive because of location.

That's probably it for the long rides this year unless we sneak away for a long weekend somewhere. I don't currently have any plans to do another Iron Butt ride this year, though that is always tempting. There's still one IBA ride that continues to come up in my thoughts, the 48 states in 10 days or less ride. That one will take a lot of planning so it wouldn't happen until next year at the earliest. I guess it's time to enjoy the rest of the summer at home, and put a few more miles on the Razor.






Those clouds gave me a cold shower coming into Manning

Ferry to take me across the Peace River

No comments:

Post a Comment