Tuesday 23 August 2016

Washington Trip - Day 8

After spending a great extended weekend with Stan and Jessie, it was time to hit the road again today. Once again, Leona and I thank you guys a ton for your hospitality!

We awoke shortly after 6am, got ready for the day, and enjoyed a cup of coffee with Jessie and the kids. Leona and I then hit up IHOP for a big breakfast, got gas for the bike, and then we were rolling. It was just before 8:30 when we finally pointed the front wheel east. The morning air was crisp, somewhere around 65F, perfect for riding. 

We stopped to walk around a little in Walla Walla, and it felt good to stretch. Before long we were in Clarkston and Lewiston, though we only stopped for a smoke break. By now the temperature was back up to the mid 80's, much better than what they had there last week. We talked to a guy who said it had been 110F last Thursday!

After getting gas in Orofino we finally decided that it was time for a snack. We didn't eat much, just a light lunch break. It wasn't long before we were rolling again, getting into some of the best riding in North America (in my limited experience anyway). I remember mentioning in 2014, the first time I did this ride, that every biker should ride highway 12 once in their life. I've gotten the chance twice, once in either direction, and this time I got to share it with my wife!

The miles went by way too quickly, and before we knew it we were at the summit of Lolo Pass. It was back down to 65F or so at the summit, time to put the jackets on again. From there it was another 45 miles to Missoula, our home for the night. We checked into the hotel and then got some dinner.

Western Montana is one of my favourite places on earth, and like I've said before, I'd pick this area if I ever moved to the USA. The scenery is amazing, the air is fresh, and the lifestyle feels familiar. 

Once again, photo credit is shared with my beautiful wife, who did a great job today taking pictures and some video while we rode. On winding roads it's hard for me to keep up, and she stepped up to help preserve some memories, thanks babe!

She says she feels like a poser, looks legit to me

Great colours, the power of sun and water
Harvest is over down here











Talked with the riders ahead of us a few time throughout the afternoon, and rode with them for a while as well



It's been a lot of fun to ride with Leona, she's a natural and adds a lot of life to the days 


Almost at the summit of Lolo Pass, looking back at the way we came
Almost in Missoula, couple miles left
Turning scrap steel into a bear
Decor at the Mackenzie River Pizza Company, where we walked to for dinner
Gorgeous western sunset after dinner

Another amazing day of riding comes to an end, the good ones always end too soon. Tomorrow is another day of visiting friends, not a whole lot of riding, but it looks like the day after I'll finally be able to check off the Going to the Sun road in Glacier NP!

2 comments:

  1. We love the photos of a very happy couple enjoying a gorgeous vacation! Going to the Sun road will be worth your waiting and hope it's open for you this year; enjoy and God bless:-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been awesome to ride through some of this country again, and to do it with my wife. Tomorrow we should be able to finally check Going to the Sun off the list!

    ReplyDelete